We had just two rehearsal days this week since we had Monday off. After spending part of Tuesday familiarizing ourselves with the script I wrote over winter break, we launched into a writing session to complete the last scene. I had sketched it out myself, but really needed to hear the actors' opinions to be able to solidify the dialogue. I had the actors run through the scene a couple times and I tweaked and added to my dialogue each time. We ultimately arrived at about an additional page but I think it ties it up nicely. We also began our discussion of names for the show. We have several ideas but haven't quite agreed yet.
On Thursday, I made a couple more script revisions, then we launched into a run through. Leanne was sick that day, so I read her part and stood in for her in Scene 3. However, I was also able to take notes as normal. We spent some more time talking about costumes and set and I have a list of prop items we still need to locate. We explored the idea of having a real door in the middle of the stage for the café, but Lia does such an excellent job of miming it that it probably isn't necessary. I'd like to continue to use a more minimalist set with the intention of introducing an element of ambiguity about when actions are occuring in the café versus in Lia's mind. We also spent time discussing the meaning of certain lighting versions and how to communicate that the spirits are left behind at the end. By showing them locked in the café as well as not switching to the spotlight lighting for their conversation at the end, we are trying to show that Lia has moved forward on her own to confront her problem.
Moving forward with the project, we will get feedback from classmates on Monday and then spend our remaining time rehearsing.